Tuesday, April 9, 2019

book review {march}




OK lets get something out of the way first... YES, my Uncle Tom {my moms brother} wrote, St. Agnes' Stand, the book I'm about to review. I'm going to tell you the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth... So Help me God! My uncles knows me, I call it the way I see it! So buckle up Uncle Tom here's my review {wink}... 

Well,  I picked it to read for my March rustic rooster book because I lied to the entire family years back and said I read it. Yikes... I did not! So I figured it was time and I needed to get it over with. Well, at first I thought, Hmmm this book is a little too descriptive for me. Who cares about gun holsters, leather straps... Horses or dried crusty sunburned faces. Oh Gosh a wild west... Really!?!?  I was struggling to get into it. So I did what every truly normal person does, looked at the last page to see how many pages this book was, took out my calculator and calculated how many pages I needed to read a day to complete it in the month of March. I put the book down... Walked away for a couple of days and then just jumped in again after heavy mind guilt! Then it happened... It was truly magical. The story came to life in my mind. I was sucked in. I wanted more... I wanted every detail. I didn't want anything to stop... The book was so smooth to read.  OMG his book was getting good, really good! I was blown away by his writing skills... His attention to detail was unbelievebly amazing! I became obsessed with each and every detail and couldn't stop wanting more... How did he describe everything that well?  Truth! He takes after me... His perfect niece! lol

I want to tell you everything about this book, but I don't want to spoil it for you. Here's a teeny bit that I'll give you...  It's about a man that actually had a heart and really was very good deep down inside. He lived an extremely hard, rugged and unbelivebly tough life so everything in his world was definitely not easy! Nothing was handed to him. His ability to calmly figure it out from his gut or observation was intriguing. Makes you want to listen to your gut more often... Hmmm!!! Yes, its about the wild west... A man and his dog, Apache Indians, a group of nuns and children. I bet right now you're trying to write the story in your head... Like an old country song. Nope its not going to work this time people.  Ha Ha you really have no clue... But The description of what the Apache Indians did to their victims is insane. I kept wanting to stop with every gruesome torture they inflicted, but I couldn't stop. Its history... Its fascinating! FYI we should never erase history from school {really from anywhere}... It's so important for kids to understand the good, bad and the ugly. My heartbreaks when I hear people removing things from our books, schools, parks... etc. Why?!  That was the "past"... Not our future. We all need to learn from our pasts to improve our future. OK sorry I had to just say that... Plus, if my uncle didn't have the facts on the Wild West, Religion and Indians who would want to read his book... Definitely not me! History Rocks {keep it in schools and everywhere}

Sorry, back to the book... This book might be small, but its definitely packed with a punch! I have left feeling so much love in my heart and wanting to dive into my faith and especially my family. Not to mention I want to learn more about American history and soak it all up! Helping others is the key ingredient  in this book. Life isn't always about you... Yes, in the long run you are the only one who can make your life go forward, but the choices we make can ultimately map out our future. I loved how my uncle tied so much together with morals and values. Just read it and see what i'm talking about.

The funny thing is... My April Adventures is to go to a shooting range. What a coincidence that my uncles book had shooting in it {wild west style people}. I'm thrilled to go to the shooting range and learn how to load and shoot a gun! Some might not believe in that, but thats OK. Guns aren't for everyone, but I do know one thing about them, I would rather know how to shoot one, load bullets and put the safety on than not no anything at all. I just want to be knowledgeable. God forbid, but what if something was ever to happen and I need to be prepared. Just saying! I could't be more ready for my April Adventure!  

So bottom line this book was truly my favorite of all of the ones I've started and finished this year {rustic rooster book club}... Actually better than any self-help book because "I" created what "I" wanted to take form this book. As I said before, I took history, love, morals, values, faith, choices in life, and my family out of this book. By the way, I finished this book on my sons birthday at a very stinky and loud trampoline park.

So what do you think, Are you going read it? If you do... Please let me know what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment