Thursday, January 6, 2022

feeling a bit nostalgic...





Remember the days before the internet when... The book, 100 Things We've Lost to the Internet, by Pamela Paul, reminds us of how things were before the internet played such a big part in our lives. And it has made me a bit nostalgic.

I am not denying that the internet has contributed to our lives in many positive ways. For instance, I am able to sit here and type this up to share with all of you! And  that is great! But I have to admit, there are some things, pre-internet, that I do miss, no matter how impractical they may now seem. For example...

being in the moment...

There was a time when people were able to enjoy a moment for what it was, without feeling the need to "share" it with the world. It was a moment that they experienced with the people that were there, sharing the same experience. And the only place that the moment lived was in their memories. And that was enough... Today, it seems that if we aren't busy capturing everything on our phones and sharing it with the world via the internet, it didn't actually happen. I miss the days when we were all less distracted and able to be fully-present (guilty as though I may be)...

window shopping...

Recent years have made it painfully evident that the in-person shopping experience has deteriorated beyond recognition. Where are the inspiring window displays? Where are the friendly and knowledgable shopkeepers? Come to think of it, where are the shops??? 

the filofax...

I remember when everyone was on the hunt for the perfect planner, and all of the inserts that were needed for the fabulous year ahead! Pens, stickers, post-its... The essentials! The type of planner you had really said something about you. And although having Google calendar is extremely effective, it doesn't give me the same satisfaction as writing things down and crossing them off my list. What can I say... I am that person that still has the giant desk calendar and paper planner. Shhh, don't tell anyone...

Be sure to read the book to be reminded of another 97 things that you may remember, and miss.

With life changing at such a rapid pace, it is important to remember that although there are many wonderful things ahead, with everything that is gained, something is lost...  








 

No comments:

Post a Comment