Wednesday, August 14, 2013

get your green on...




Don't you feel sometimes that you just need to be healthy?!?!? Well, I do! I start to analyze what I'm eating and what my kids are eating last week. I definitely shutter to think what I've put into my body. Yes, late night Taco Bell runs to omg I need lunch really fast lets get McDonald's. I'm the first to raise my hand and admit that I have and do that on occasions. Am I a junker? {chuckle} So I guess it's a good thing to go in and out of being good and healthy. These last few weeks of summer my cousin and I have been going to heated sculpt yoga. WOW... It's amazing! First off, I can't even touch my toes so don't think that's all you do in this class... You're  sweating like a pig {cleansing every ounce of bad out} and doing major cardio with intense sculpting combined. I love it... My body feels great! So with that type of exercise why not start eating right too... Bring on the greens!   Here's a salad that my mom used to make all he time when my brother and I were little. Hope you enjoy! 

SERVES 4–6 

INGREDIENTS FOR THE DRESSING: 
1 clove garlic 
Kosher salt, to taste 
⅓ cup olive oil 
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice 
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard 
1 shallot, minced 
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste 

FOR THE SALAD: 
1 lb. small new potatoes, boiled until tender 
6 oz. yellow baby beets, boiled until tender, peeled 
6 oz. red baby beets, boiled until tender, peeled 
8 oz. haricot verts, blanched 
12 oz. cherry tomatoes, halved 
½ cup black Niçoise olives 
8 small radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced 
8 salt-packed anchovies, rinsed and drained 
4 hard-boiled eggs, halved lengthwise 
3 (4-oz.) cans high-quality oil-packed tuna, drained 
1 small cucumber, thinly sliced 
½ cup loosely packed basil leaves, to garnish 
¼ cup thinly sliced scallions, to garnish 

INSTRUCTIONS 1. Make the dressing: Mince garlic on a cutting board and sprinkle heavily with salt; using a knife, scrape garlic and salt together to form a smooth paste. Transfer paste to a bowl and whisk in oil, juice, mustard, shallot, and salt and pepper; set aside. 2. Make the salad: Arrange all ingredients in separate rows on a large serving platter; drizzle dressing over all ingredients, season with salt and pepper, and garnish with basil and scallions just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment