1-1/2 cups, plus 2 tablespoons (11-3/8 ounces) granulated sugar
4 large eggs, room temperature
Coconut-Honey Glaze, recipe to follow
Coconut-Honey Glaze & Assembly
3 tablespoons canned coconut milk
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon coconut rum
1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
2 ounces white chocolate, finely chopped
3 tablespoons cream cheese, room temperature
6-8 fresh mission figs for garnish (optional)
1. Roll almond paste into a 1/2-inch diameter rope, cut rope into 1/2-1-inch size pieces.
2. Bring figs, sugar, brandy, and water to simmer in medium saucepan over medium heat. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until liquid evaporates and figs are very soft, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool for 5 minutes. Stir in chopped almonds and almond paste pieces and cool until ready to use.
1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position. Grease and flour 9×5 loaf pan. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in bowl. Whisk coconut milk and both extracts in measuring cup.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar on medium speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with 2 additions of coconut milk mixture. Mix on low until smooth, about 30 seconds.
3. Remove mixing bowl, add fig-almond mixture in chunks of various sizes. Using rubber spatula, fold until mixture is evenly distribute throughout the batter.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth top. Place cake in cold oven. Adjust oven temperature to 325℉ and bake, without opening oven door, until cake is golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 65- 80 minutes.
5. Cool cake in pan for 15 minutes, then turn out onto rack, right side up, and cool completely. (Cooled cake can be stored in airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.)
COCONUT-HONEY GLAZE & ASSEMBLY
1. Bring coconut milk, honey, rum and salt to a simmer over in a small saucepan over medium heat. Turn off heat and whisk in white chocolate until fully combined. Add cream cheese, one tablespoon at a time, whisk until glaze is smooth and creamy. Cool for 20-30 minutes until thickens.
2. Drizzle glaze over top of cake and let it drip over the sides. Decorate with fresh figs (if use) and serve.